In the spring of 1956, the South Dakota LCMS District Mission Board was exploring the possibility of starting a mission congregation in Watertown.
The first service was on Pentecost Sunday, May 20, 1956 in the basement of First Federal Savings and Loan. Forty-one attended the service.
During this time a special committee from the District came to Watertown and purchased "Olive Place".
Olive Place was a city block with a beautiful Victorian house. The house was used as a parsonage, for Vacation Bible School, and for some Lenten services.
The Congregation moved to the 7th Day Adventist Church building. They worshiped there for 9 years.
The ground breaking for the addition was October 1966. The Victorian house was sold and moved to a new location. A parsonage was under construction at this time.
The Middle Years
In January 1990, work began on the main sanctuary. Our members invested sweat equity too and did much of the work on the building themselves.
Surely, doing the work saved a considerable amount of money but it also gave our members a way to invest in their faith and create a strong church family.
The new addition was dedicated in June 1991. Our beautiful floor to ceiling stained glass windows tell the story of God and his faithfulness. Our roofline alludes to the peaks of Mount Olive.
Today at Mt. Olive, we strive to be an open, friendly, and caring group of people.
We are a small-ish congregation. And while yes, we want grow and reach others, we don't want to lose our small congregation feel - where it is easy to meet people and feel at home without feeling overwhelmed or overburdened.
We gather for worship, fellowship, Bible study, and service to the community and world.
People of all ages and many different walks of life call us home.
For worship, we lean toward the traditional but with a casual comfortable feel.
You are welcome to visit any time whether looking for a church home or just visiting the area. We would love for you to be a part of our family.